Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Maine Island Trail - Day 0 - June 14th


So for those that I haven't told yet, tomorrow morning I'm stuffing that pile of gear, food, and water into my kayak to paddle 200-some miles from Portland, Maine to the border with Canada (and hopefully not crossing the border and subsequently being arrested for illegal entry). I'll be camping on islands along Maine's coast for around 12 days. Why? Because why not. Due to some shenanigans involving rocks and feet it's gone from a two man trip to a one man trip, and so I've created this blog (that I'll try to post on every day) to preserve what little sanity I have left. Posting will, of course, depend on a few things:
  1. Have I given up? If so, probably not something I'd be eager to blog about.
  2. Have I died yet? If I've died, it might be difficult to post things.
  3. Do I have cell phone service? Does anywhere in Maine really have cell service? Could be problematic.
  4. Have I been paddling for 16 hours straight? The magic 8-ball says the odds are not in the blog's favor at that point.
  5. Has anything interesting enough to blog about actually happened, or am I doomed to see nothing but an endless sea of lobster buoys?

In addition to the blog, I have a DeLorme inReach (link on the right) that will be sending out my location every 10 minutes while I'm on the water, to a convenient map for anyone (read: my paranoid mother and people who are remarkably bored) who wants to track my progress/watch me fail.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! Looks like your packing is organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great!! Have fun!! I hope you can make it to the family Lbi trip this fall so I can hear all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great!! Have fun!! I hope you can make it to the family Lbi trip this fall so I can hear all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock on buddy / sounds like a great adventure!! Please post and pix !!

    ReplyDelete